Learn How to Peer Review at AAS 243
Frank Timmes Arizona State University
Did you know that if you’ve submitted a research article to a journal, you’re eligible to serve as a peer reviewer for other scientists’ articles? In the last year alone, 1,500 researchers have served as peer reviewers for the AAS journals! Peer review is a critical foundation of sound scientific publishing — and yet formal training in how to conduct useful peer review isn’t a standard part of astronomers’ professional development.
AAS Publishing is now addressing that lack. If you’d like to feel more confident the next time you’re asked by an editor to peer review a paper, consider applying to attend the upcoming AAS Peer Review Training Workshop in New Orleans.
What: Peer review training provided by AAS journal editors
When: Sunday, 7 January, 8:00 am - 1:00 pm EST (free lunch included!), before AAS 243
Where: In person at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans, Louisiana
Who: Graduate students through senior researchers are all eligible to participate
How much: Workshop is provided free of charge
Why should you attend this workshop?
- You’ll learn what to expect during the peer review process.
- You’ll explore example referee reports and gain experience by writing a referee report of your own.
- You’ll be able to work directly with AAS Journal Lead and Scientific Editors.
- You’ll gain an understanding of what referees look for — and therefore how to write a good paper yourself!
- You’ll receive a workshop graduation certificate and be designated in the AAS Journals system as a certified reviewer.
Peer reviewing can be an interesting and rewarding way to participate in the scientific community. If you’ve refereed papers before, this workshop can help you up your game; if you’ve never been on the peer-reviewer end of a publication, this workshop will help you feel ready when the opportunity comes!
Applications are now open for the 7 January workshop in New Orleans; note that this is a separate application process than registration for other AAS 243 workshops. The deadline to apply is 30 November. Follow the link below to apply or to learn more about AAS Peer Review Training Workshops.